Approximate Driving Time: 2.5 hours
Locations on Route: Athlone, Ballynahown, Clonmacnoise, Shannonbridge, Banagher, Eyrecourt, Portumna, Mountshannon, Scarriff, Tuamgraney, Killaloe-Ballina, O’Briensbridge, Castleconnell, Limerick
- Sean’s Bar – at 1100 years old this is the oldest bar in Ireland, and possibly the world
- Viking boat to Clonmacnoise – 1500 year old monastic settlement riverside ruins
- Portumna Castle and Gardens – Renaissance style manor house with beautiful gardens which include a maze
- Sea Eagles – catch a glimpse of nesting sea eagles on Lough Derg at Mountshannon and visit Inis Cealta (Holy Island)
- St Flannan’s Cathedral – hundreds of years old and houses a 1000 year old stone inscribed with runes and ogham
- King John’s Castle – 13th century castle meets 21st century technology
Alternative routes and delightful detours: The locations above involve driving along the western shore of Lough Derg (Mountshannon, Scarriff, Tuamgraney). Alternatively you may prefer to travel via the eastern shore of Lough Derg and take in the towns of Terryglass, Coolbawn, and Dromineer amongst others.
If you would like to explore this part of the Shannon Scenic Drive more consider completing the full Lough Derg Drive which takes in both sides of the lake. Alternatively add in a delightful detour to your route such as to Birr Castle, Nenagh Castle or Lough Boora Discovery Park.
Explore the next section of the route: Limerick to Loop Head/Kerry Head (includes the Shannon Estuary)
Take your time, take in the scenery and take home amazing memories. What are you waiting for? Start exploring the Shannon Scenic Drive today…
For the latest updates on festivals, tours and other events follow the Shannon Scenic Drive on Facebook or Twitter: @ShannonScenicDr